Saturday, December 16, 2006
A Christmas Meme
The Newborn by Georges de La Tour, 1645
The Ironic Catholic has posted a Christmas Meme and tagged whoever wants to play along. She was also kind enough to choose me for a photo caption winner this week. Here’s for trying my hand at the meme…
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? What, would Hot Mulled Cider be considered out of season by Christmas? Hot Chocolate over the course of the season I suppose, but Eggnog on Christmas Eve itself is the best.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Mrs Claus wraps them up, and he does a lot of the “some assembly required” on Christmas Eve with much cursing and gnashing of teeth, because unlike his trusty elves, he has two left thumbs and no mechanical aptitude.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Colored lights all the way, baby. I get special pleasure out of that, because it’s such a pretentious white-light Yankee New England town.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? Ah… alas no, not in a long time. When I was younger I was afraid of being considered a perv for trying to steal a cheap kiss. Now I’m afraid of being considered a dirty old perv trying to steal a cheap kiss...
5. When do you put your decorations up? Usually the first weekend in December. We keep the outside lights going almost until the end of January, at Anne’s insistence.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Baked lasagna. Actually, that works for me all year too.
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: After watching Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, leaving milk and cookies for the reindeer, going to bed, turning on the candle window lights in my room, and being certain that I could hear hooves on the roof… Sneaking down at five in the morning with my siblings while my parents were still asleep.
I also remember the year when “Santa” relented and finally got me a G.I. Joe. My older brother got the new Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album, which turned out to be way cooler.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? What do you mean by that? What are you trying to say?
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Yes. Anne and I usually exchange one gift.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Colored lights and ornaments. No tinsel or garland anymore. As many old heirloom ornaments as can be found that aren’t broken yet, the better.
11. Snow? Love it or Dread it? Love it when it’s falling. Not much use for it after that. Love it on Christmas. I don’t mind a lot of snow during winter. I hate winters that are neither fish nor fowl... Freeze and melt, freeze and melt…
12. Can you ice skate? Not well. My ankles turn inwards. It put an early end to my childhood dream to play in the NHL and be the next Derek Sanderson.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? A plastic football player set with a field that was about 2 and 1/2 feet by 6 feet.
14. What's the most exciting thing about the Holidays for you? Watching the excitement and joy in my kid’s faces.
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Anne’s hot apple pie, with vanilla ice cream
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Christmas Eve Dinner with my in-laws and cousins and exchanging gifts with them... Singing carols with my kids at bedtime all during advent.
17. What tops your tree? Cloth, hand-sewn angel.
18. Which do you prefer - giving or receiving? Well now, like the Ironic Catholic says, that all depends on what’s being given and received… ;-)
Giving, I suppose.
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? O Come All Ye Faithful, especially the Latin part (Adeste Fidelis)
20. Candy Canes? Yeah, we even have them on the tree sometimes. There’s nothing like trying to peel them off the couch.
If I can be so bold as to be allowed to tag five, I tag Cowboyangel, Crystal, Liam, Steve, and Drew.