Monday, November 17, 2008

Brazilian Whacks

Ronaldinho and Kaká show how the "Jogo Bonito" is done

I hesitate a little to put this one up, because Cristina reads here now and then, and I know that she's an Inter Milan fan. Sorry Cristina...

:-)

I was curious to find out how the Brazilian fútbol superstar Ronaldinho was doing after leaving FC Barcelona for AC Milan in Italy's Serie A, so I looked him up on Youtube and elsewhere.

Shown below is a clip from the most recent Derby della Madonnina (Milan Derby), which is a contest between archrivals AC Milan and FC Internazionale Milano.


AC Milan - Inter Milano - 1-0 Ronaldinho - The best home videos are here

What a feed from Ronaldinho over to fellow Brazilian star Kaká, back to Ronaldinho again. That's about as pretty a goal as you are ever going to see, even if Kaká may have been slightly offside. There was nothing my boy "Matrix" Materazzi could do about that one...

Brendan and I went to an international match between Brazil and Venezuela at Gillette Stadium back in June. It was quite an experience. Drums, bullhorns, singing, dancing, massive green and gold flags everywhere, and maybe 10 Venezuelan fans in the whole rockin' place. Neither Ronaldinho nor Kaká were there for Brazil's squad that night. The Brazilian fans were a fun and friendly bunch until they started losing (Venezuela won in a stunner, 2-0). We left at half-time, when the fights started breaking out. It may be one of the most ridiculous sights you can imagine... two pudgy guys in identical Ronaldinho jerseys slinging beer at each other and trying to punch each other's lights out.

13 comments:

Kathleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shera10 said...

Jeff

I read ALWAYS your blog, but I seldom comment, my english is too bad for your clever posts.

Did you see this?:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/world/2008-11-17-shorts-goal_N.htm

Italian player: to drop short to avoid goal!

Cristina

Jeff said...

Ho Cristina,

Ha! Well, I guess that's OK, as long as they continue to keep their hands where they keep them. :-D

Those Italians... They'll use any trick in the book to gain an advantage. Winning at All Costs!

Liam said...

Forza Roma!

Jeff said...

A.S. Roma! They've won the Coppa Italia two years in a row now.

shera10 said...

Coppa Italia: nobody cares about it:)

Inter won campionato 3 years in a row.THIS is important!!

Jeff said...

Yes, I must give credit to your team where it is due. The scudetto, right?

Liam said...

Io sono stato a Roma quando Roma ha vinto lo scudetto, nel 2001.

Jeff said...

Dude, how many languages do you have? Got any German?

shera10 said...

Complimenti per l'ottimo italiano Liam!

Hai portato fortuna alla Roma.

Liam said...

Grazie, Cristina.

Jeff -- a little German. I studied it in college and I passed the German exam for my PhD, but I feel much more comfortable around the Romance languages.

cowboyangel said...

Great goal. I'm afraid I don't follow the Italian leagues. Only know some of the big teams from the Champions League.

Ask Liam about his Esperanto!

Jeff said...

William,

Don't forget "El Classico" this December 13th. Real vs. Barca!

Is the Esperanto Society still going?